The Witcher Netflix series and a first look at Henry Cavill as Geralt and more. The series is coming late 2019 on streaming platform Netflix as an eight-episode series, starring Henry Cavill (DC Superman franchise) as Geralt. The Witcher trailer was first released during the San Diego Comic-Con 2019 along with the full cast and a sneak peek at Geralt’s horse Roach.
The Netflix series is based on the fantasy series of novels written by Polish author Andrzej Sapkowski. It centers around the eponymous “witcher”, Geralt of Rivia, the beast hunter who develop supernatural abilities to battle monsters and beast. Andrzej Sapkowski also part of the Netflix series as a creative consultant.
Here’s the first trailer for The Witcher on Netflix
The Witcher on Netflix will not adapt the games, but only the book and if you take a look at Netflix – they have added an interesting official synopsis for the series which will tempt Netflix subscribers to add the show to their list.
The official synopsis reads: “The witcher Geralt, a mutated monster hunter, struggles to find his place in a world where people often prove more wicked than beasts.” The tagline for the series is “The worst monsters are the ones we create.”
Showrunner Lauren Schmidt Hissrich (Daredevil and The Defenders writer ) —gave us an idea about the series through Twitter, including character descriptions and even film locations which are in Eastern Europe – “WE’LL BE SHOOTING IN EASTERN EUROPE. Yes!” tweeted Hissrich. “This show couldn’t exist anyplace else. Period.” Budapest is at least one of the locations—that’s where filming has started.
Here are the character descriptions from Lauren Schmidt Hissrich twitter account:
- Geralt is described as stoic, circumspect, balanced and fierce, soft and squishy in a tiny place in his heart that he’ll never reveal until maybe the end and even then it will just be a hint.”
- Yennefer,is, is fiery, proud, shrewd and contradictory, plus: “seeking to fill a family-sized hole in her heart even though she resents it and swears she’s just fine on her own but she is not and we love her for being both independent and vulnerable.”
- Ciri is resilient, relentless, brazen and growing, “she’s going to change the world and what the hell is she supposed to do except be scared and be bold and learn and adapt and find a family who can walk by her side no matter what and maybe just maybe teach her the meaning of love.”
- Roach is Ladylike. Faithful. Extrasensory. Steady. Really-annoyed-with-this-game-because-we-can’t-pretend-all-Roaches-are-the-same-so-she’d-prefer-some-singularity-and-individual-recognition-instead-of-all-being-lumped-together-by-blatantly-horsist-people. Roach is a horse.
- Jakier is extravagant, caddish, loose-lipped. Plus: “Hides behind the exterior of an idiot when in actuality he is the keeper of Geralt’s realities (even if he exaggerates his own heroics) AND the truths of the world which means he’s far more important than we realize…”
- Triss Merigold is “Spunky; Idealistic; Insecure; Conflicted; Young and naive and lacking the confidence of sorceresses which means she is ripe for manipulation but when she finally transcends the crap she has a chance to be loved as herself and not as ‘the third-wheel with Yen'”.
- Cahir is “Conflicted; Charismatic; Haunted; Pure of heart”.
Image Credit: YouTube/Netflix/Screencapture